What is a virtual office and why is it better?
The most cost effective
office space is a home office separated from the rest of the house. It is
not only becoming a more
and more popular option,
but sometimes the difference
between surviving and not
surviving a difficult economic
The virtual office is maintained solely by the outsource designer
- at no expense to the company contracting the work. Using a staffed, on-site
outsource loses this savings.
The virtual, or off-site, office supplies the outsource worker
with his or her optimum work environment, as well as all the
essentials a hiring company would have to provide. This is a great solution for
small to mid size businesses.
This concept differs hugely from an on-site outsource solution. With an on-site
outsource you are simply handing management over to someone else - you haven't
major overhead and complications of being an employer.
I was fascinated recently by an office building that said "virtual office
space" on it. If you can hit it with a cruise missle - it ain't virtual.
| Off-site designers and developers provide their own:
- Computers, software and updates for software.
- Scanners, digital cameras and lighting equipment.
- Repair and maintenance of the above.
- Heating and cooling.
- All training.
- The office space itself.
- Anything needed.
|People who work in their own office space are generally
happier because :
- They start the day free of the stress of hurrying out the door and dealing
with rush hour traffic.
- Eliminating travel time can reduce stress and shorten the work day dramatically.
A work day starts the moment you leave your home.
- Even with time - gross means nothing - net means everything.
- They are unaffected by gossip, personal conflicts and inter-office intrigue.
- They can play their favorite background music
- or work in total silence if they prefer.
- They can adjust, to their comfort level, the....
- air quality (people with allergies can use an air
- brightness of lighting
- They can dress comfortably and have the company of a beloved cat or dog
curled up beside them. Don't laugh - this would be highly valued by many.
- Work at home mothers can take children to school and pick them up when needed.
- And, as stated elsewhere they save the huge expense of child care.
- Children playing after school are no more distracting than office chatter.
- They have better options for illness and epidemics:
- Slightly ill people needn't lose hours to protect others at the office.
- Conversely - healthy people are not exposed to epidemics spread in a close
- They also are not hit with the conflict of calling in a sick
day because their child has a cold. Add to this, in an office, you are exposed
to every bug that every one of your co-workers' children are exposed to.
People who work in their own office space will do whatever
it takes to maintain this status. That is in your favor.